Youth at the AIDS2010
As the largest international gathering on a health-related issue, the International AIDS Conference (IAC) has consistently served as a landmark event for the AIDS community. Since AIDS 2000 in Barcelona, the YouthForce has served as the collaborative mechanism for youth involvement in the conference, organizing and mobilizing youth leaders and ensuring their access to key government and civil society leaders.
Through this coordination, youth voices are heard, programmes and research that affect youth are discussed and evaluated, influential adults are rallied to support youth-led programming, and international commitments favorable to youth are made.
The objectives of the Main Conference Subcommittee are:
- Strengthen participation of young people by offering conference navigation assistance, mentorship and orientation; and
- Strengthen the profile of youth issues by promoting youth-focused sessions to attend, working with youth speakers and programme committees, and observing youth issues throughout the conference.
Breakdown of activities:
- Assistance with navigation around the conference and developing orientation materials
- Connecting delegates beforehand
- Observing youth issues throughout the conference
- Working with youth speakers
- Engage with scientific programme (young scientists)
- Publicizing youth-focused sessions to attend
- Organizing meetings with VIPs for young leaders